This article describes how to troubleshoot a stop error, also called a “blue screen” error, on Amazon Web Services (AWS) instances of Windows Server 2008 R2 when using 16+ cores. There is a known limitation with WinPcap on AWS 16+ vCPU Windows 2008 instances. A workaround is to use the open source variant of WinPcap called Win10Pcap. More information on this open-source variant can be found at http://www.win10pcap.org/.
- Uninstall the “al_agent” service using the add/remove programs feature in Windows. Delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\alertlogic folder and the C:\Program Files (x86)\common files\alert logic folder.
- Uninstall WinPcap.
- Download Win10Pcap MSI at http://www.win10pcap.org/download/Win10Pcap-v10.2-5002.msi.
- Install Win10Pcap.
- Install the Alert Logic agent using the following instructions, as appropriate:
- Alert Logic Agent - Windows
- Alert Logic Agent - Linux
- Start the “al_agent” service.