Selecting the best Alert Logic® deployment method for your security needs is crucial for both cost-effectiveness and longevity of the Alert Logic service. Alert Logic has a wide range of providers to ensure that you have the best options for your deployments to be implemented.
The following deployment methods are offered by Alert Logic. Select the appropriate deployment type based on which environment you are on:
- Where you have a physical environment already in place that you can utilize to send threat traffic to Alert Logic
- Where certain compliance dictates that you have physical access to the threat manager
- Sending threat traffic to the threat manager via physical connection (SPAN)
VMware Based OVA Threat Manager
- Where you have the underlying physical infrastructure and compute power to have Alert Logic run on
- Where you are already licensed for a full VMware based deployment
- When you intend on running the Alert Logic agent on hosts to send threat traffic to the threat manager
Amazon Web Services (AWS) EC2 Instances
- Where you lack the sufficient physical hardware to either install the threat manager on or have little to no physical infrastructure to send data to the threat manager
- Where the environment is dynamically changing on a semi-consistent basis and above to provision additional resources as required
- When you intend on running the Alert Logic agent on hosts to send their threat traffic to the threat manager
- When you want to avoid the up-front costs of purchasing a physical infrastructure
Azure Virtual Machines/Google Cloud Platform Compute Instances
- Same points as AWS; all three are cloud vendors with similar offerings. However, AWS is the more mature platform and has the better overall virtual machine deployment methods.
If the cost for either of these deployment methods is cheaper than AWS for your use case, then that is your best argument for choosing one of these platforms over AWS.
In a constantly changing environment, you should typically pick one of the cloud vendors, but in a more static environment, any of the above can apply.