You have the option to utilize multi-factor authentication (MFA) when logging in to the Alert Logic® console. The two-factor authentication utilizes your Alert Logic account email address and password, as well as a time-based one-time password authenticator app (like Google Authenticator, Authy, or 1Password). MFA provides you with a more secure log-in experience and allows you to meet more compliance mandates.
Note: With the addition of MFA, bookmarked Alert Logic console login links that contain /login are no longer valid. To avoid an error message, please update your bookmark to include the following link: https://console.account.alertlogic.com
Optional Multi-Factor Authentication
Alert Logic account administrators have the option to enforce MFA at a customer account level for all users, which will require all of the account's users to comply with MFA when logging in to the Alert Logic console. If the administrator does not opt all users into MFA, each user has the option to opt in or not.
Note: If you want to enforce MFA for yourself or your users but are utilizing single sign-on through your Identity Provider, MFA must be configured on your Identity Provider before you can opt into it.
If you are an administrator, follow these steps in the Alert Logic console to require all your users to use MFA :
- Alert Logic Cloud Defender, Threat Manager, or Log Manager customers - navigate to the support icon () > Users.
Alert Logic Essentials, Professional, or Enterprise customers - open the navigation menu () > Manage > Users.
- You will see a note at the top of the page that states "MFA is not required for users of this account. Users may choose to use MFA to log in to this account." Click Edit to the right of that note.
- A panel will appear on the right side of your screen. Move the toggle to the right to Enabled.
- Click Save.
If you are an individual user wanting to opt yourself into MFA, follow these steps in the Alert Logic console:
- Cloud Defender, Threat Manager, or Log Manager customers - navigate to the support icon () > Users.
Essentials, Professional, or Enterprise customers - open the navigation menu () > Manage > Users.
- Find yourself and click View.
- A panel will appear on the right side of your screen. Under Multi-Factor Authentication, click Add device.
First Time Multi-Factor Authentication Setup
When you attempt to log in to the Alert Logic console for the first time after you or your administrator has opted you into MFA, you will be automatically prompted to begin initial setup.
The steps required to set up MFA include:
- Install a time-based one-time password authenticator app (like Google Authenticator, Authy, or 1Password) on your device.
- In the app, select Set up account.
- Choose Scan barcode and scan the code that you see in the console.
- The app will show a new entry - "Alert Logic" - and a 6-digit code, which refreshes every 30 seconds. Enter two consecutive 6-digit codes generated by the app in the Authentication Code fields in the console.
Note: These steps are also available in the console during your setup.
MFA will now be set up and ready for you to utilize each time that you log in to the Alert Logic console.
Using Multi-Factor Authentication to Log In
Once you have completed your initial setup of MFA, you will need to use an Authentication Code from Google Authenticator each time that you log in to the Alert Logic console.
This procedure walks you through the steps of logging in to the Alert Logic console once MFA has been set up:
- Enter your Alert Logic email address and password on the Alert Logic console log-in page.
- Click Log In.
- Enter your authentication code from the authenticator app into the Authentication Code field on the Alert Logic Multi-Factor Authentication log-in page.
- Click Authenticate.