Claiming an appliance is the process of associating a newly created appliance with your account. This makes the appliance available for use and appear in the Alert Logic® console. Claiming an appliance can be done either automatically or manually.
The following article describes the various ways of claiming an appliance and how to claim an appliance via those methods.
Interactive Manual Appliance Claim
To manually claim an appliance interactively using the Alert Logic console, complete the following steps:
- On the Alert Logic homepage, click Threat Manager or Log Manager from the list of tabs near the top of the screen.
NOTE: The Unique Registration Key is the same for all appliance types and the key will be the same in both sections.
- Click Support to the far right of the list of tabs.
- Click the Internal Support tab. You will find the Unique Registration Key under Account Details, in the farthest right dark gray box.
- Visit the URL that refers to the appliance to be claimed. This URL is https://<Appliance Public IP>. This URL will take you to a web page where you can enter the appliance's Unique Registration Key.
- Submit the Unique Registration Key on the appliance claim page accessed at the appliance URL you generated from its public IP address.
The appliance will now be associated with your account.
Programmatic Manual Appliance Claim
If you have a need to programmatically execute the appliance claiming process, you are able to directly call via the Alert Logic API.
Run the following two HTTP requests to claim the appliance:
- curl -X POST -d "key=<Unique Registration Key>&name=<Name>" "http://<Appliance IP>/v1/set-key/index.php"
- curl http://<Appliance IP>/v1/restart-provision/index.php
Next, run the following HTTP request to confirm that the appliance has been successfully claimed:
- curl http://<Appliance IP>/v1/isclaimed/index.php
Where you see "<Unique Registration Key>" above in the HTTP requests, insert your Unique Registration Key, which can be found by following steps #1-3 under the Interactive Manual Appliance Claim section above.
Where you see "<Name>" above in the HTTP requests, insert the name that you would like the appliance to display as within the Alert Logic console. This is an optional value that you can omit if you'd like.
Amazon Web Services Cross-Account IAM Role Auto-Claim
If you utilize appliances within Amazon Web Services (AWS), Alert Logic recommends that you take advantage of auto-claiming. You can auto-claim your AWS appliances by configuring a cross-account IAM role in the Alert Logic console. Once you have configured an AWS appliance with a cross-account IAM role, the appliance will automatically be claimed and no other actions will be required.
For detailed instructions on configuring AWS IAM cross-account roles, refer to our Configure Alert Logic Cloud Defender AWS cross-account role documentation.