The Alert Logic physical appliance is a server that is pre-configured by Alert Logic to collect intrusion detection system data and provide web application firewall services. Alert Logic offers two physical appliances - the Dell PowerEdge R240 and the Dell PowerEdge R640. This information works for either physical appliance.
Your conversations with Alert Logic representatives determine which physical appliance corresponds with your Alert Logic subscription level and best serves the goals of your organization. In general, the following requirements apply:
- Alert Logic Essentials subscription requires the Dell R240 appliance.
- Alert Logic Professional and Enterprise subscriptions require the Dell R640 appliance.
Find technical specifications for both servers at the following locations on the Dell website:
Alert Logic ships the appliance with an Ethernet management port, framed in red, that comes pre-configured with the IP address for your physical appliance.
NIC for Additional Network Ports
This optional NIC provides up to four additional network monitoring ports. During the onboarding process, Alert Logic requests the number of ports you require for your network. If you require additional network ports, Alert Logic orders and installs the appropriate NIC.
Note: This information and more can also be found within Alert Logic Product Documentation.
Claim the Appliance
- Find your Unique Registration Key:
Managed Detection & Response customers -
a. In the Alert Logic console, open the navigation menu ().
b. Click Configure > Deployments.
c. Open the applicable data center deployment and click Installation Instructions.
d. Copy the Unique Registration Key to the right of the applicable network.
Cloud Defender customers -
a. Open the Settings menu () and click Support Information.
b. Copy the Unique Registration Key.
- Visit the URL that refers to the appliance to be claimed. This URL is http://<Appliance Public IP>. This URL will take you to a web page where you can enter the appliance's Unique Registration Key.
- Submit the Unique Registration Key on the appliance claim page accessed at the appliance URL you generated from its public IP address and click Claim Appliance.
Install the Physical Appliance
- Use the installation instructions enclosed with the appliance to properly mount the appliance in the rack.
- Use the ports on the back panel to connect the appliance to your network.
- Connect a network cable from the red Ethernet management port on the appliance to the switch port and VLAN associated with the IP address allocated for the appliance.
- Connect the network cable from the appliance monitor ports to the switch ports or network taps. The number and media type of monitor ports vary based on deployment.
Note: With the exception of the red Ethernet management port, any Ethernet port may be used as a monitor port.
- Connect to a power source and press the power button.
- Submit a ticket with Alert Logic Support to request a connectivity test.
Note: Alert Logic ships appliances with pre-configured network IP addresses. If you need to change the appliance IP addresses, you can work with Alert Logic Support to do so. For more information see the Change the IP Address of a Physical Appliance documentation.
Test Network Configuration
Your Alert Logic representative will work through the network configuration test with you using the following procedure.
- From the Network Configuration Console, select Test Connectivity Using ICMP Ping.
- Enter the IP address of the default gateway.
If you do not see a succession of ping responses, the connectivity test cannot ping the default gateway. Verify that the red Ethernet management port on the appliance is connected to the correct VLAN port, that firewall rules are configured correctly, and that your IP information is correct within the appliance. With any issues, submit a ticket with Alert Logic Security Operations.